Finally got brave enough to start a couch-to-5k style plan and I am hyper-focused on my form so I do not wreck my knees while the weight is coming off. I keep catching myself heel-striking and overstriding, so I have been watching videos and trying short quick steps instead. Anyone else find that running form gets easier to fix as the scale moves, or does it just feel awkward no matter what?
Started running at 20 lbs down - form check mindset
Down 29 on Wegovy and right in that awkward phase with you, though my strides stopped feeling like a conscious project somewhere in the last few weeks. The conversational pace thing is real for me too, I hated how slow it felt until I noticed I was suddenly finishing runs without my knees complaining. Give it a couple more pounds, your feet will probably stop needing supervision.
Down 42 and same story here, somewhere in the 30s I stopped thinking about my feet at all and the stride just sorted itself out. Keeping the pace slow enough to hold a conversation was the trick that let the quick steps stick for me.
Down about 21 myself and still in the overthinking-every-step phase, so it's reassuring to hear it goes automatic eventually. Short steps on flat pavement have been my thing too, and honestly the slow pace is the part my ego struggles with more than the form does.
Down 67 myself and running is night and day from where I started - my stride basically fixed itself somewhere in the middle of the loss without me grinding on it. Heat out here in Vegas makes hills feel twice as bad, so I feel the rhythm-break thing. Keep with the short steps, it clicks eventually.
Down 35 now and I barely recognize my old stride, it really did clean itself up once the weight dropped. Early on I felt like every run was a form lecture to myself, but somewhere past 30 the quick steps just became automatic. Keep the pace embarrassing slow for now, that's what made it click for me.
Down 11 here and running the same couch-to-5k style plan, and the quick-step cue is what finally got me to stop overthinking every footfall. I've noticed the last couple pounds off made hills feel way easier, so I'm banking on the stride sorting itself out the same way.
Same boat at about 7 down and the counting trick works for me too, though I sometimes lose count when a hill shows up. My guess is every few pounds off makes the quick turnover a little more natural, my hips already feel less slammed after easy runs than a month ago.
Down 25 here and the overstriding mostly fixed itself somewhere along the way without me forcing it, so the awkward phase does pass. What helped me was keeping cadence high and just letting pace stay slow until it clicked. Your knees will thank you for the flat routes in the meantime.
Down 44 here and I'm way past worrying about my feet, it really does fade into the background. Honestly the slow pace thing stung my ego too at first but it's how everything clicked. Around the 30 lb mark the whole stride just stopped needing my attention.
Down about 67 here in OKC and honestly the form stopped needing constant babysitting once the joints weren't taking such a beating - I stopped heel-smashing without really deciding to. The quick-steps thing felt goofy for a solid month before it clicked, so hang in there. Flat terrain is your friend while it's still awkward.
Down about 40 and running got noticeably easier somewhere along the way - I stopped having to think about cadence around the 25 lb mark and my feet just started landing quicker on their own. The hills still break my rhythm too, but recovery between runs is way faster now. Give it a few more weeks, the awkward phase really does fade.
Down 13 and I stopped heel-striking around the same mark without ever really deciding to, so there might be something to the weight thing. My knees were the first thing to quiet down, which made it easier to relax and let the stride do its own thing. The awkwardness faded faster than I expected once I quit auditing every step.
Only 7 lbs down here so I'm basically still learning to run in my own body, but the quick-steps trick helped me stop heel-smashing too. I count my footfalls for 30 seconds mid-run to keep the cadence up, otherwise I drift back into long slow strides. Curious if the form stuff keeps getting easier as more weight comes off.
Down about 28 and I'm still in the deliberate short-steps phase too, but I've noticed the heel-smashing showing up way less even though I'm not consciously fixing it. Hills still wreck my rhythm but flat runs are starting to feel almost natural, so the awkwardness does fade some before the scale even catches up.
Only a couple pounds down so far so I'm way behind you all, but I've been drilling the same quick-steps thing on walks hoping it's muscle memory by the time I can actually jog. Encouraging that some of you say the overstriding faded on its own -- gives me something to look forward to besides the scale.
Down 10 so far and flats only for me too, but even at this size the quick-steps trick stopped most of the knee soreness I used to get walking. Hoping the stride cleans itself up like some of you are describing, because right now mine still looks like a penguin.
Similar spot here, down about 26 and the overstriding faded on its own around the 20 lb mark without me drilling it. Short quick steps still feel goofy on any kind of incline but flats click more each week.
Down 26 myself and shorter steps felt weird for the first couple weeks, then it clicked and my knees stopped complaining. I think some of it is just the lighter frame making it easier to keep a quicker cadence without thinking about it. Keep at it, the awkward phase passes faster than you'd expect.
Only 9 lbs down so far and already noticing my steps feel lighter on the easy runs, so the awkward phase must just be part of the deal. Heel-striking used to bug me constantly but the quick-step cue helped me stop micromanaging it too. Sounds like the consensus is it clicks without you noticing, which is honestly a relief.