NEW You can now add a photo to your posts and replies — vials, pens, injection sites and progress pics are all welcome. Max 5 MB, and location data is stripped automatically.
Your journey

Started running at 20 lbs down - form check mindset

Started by AmberPainter · · 47 replies · 834 views
#21

Down about 15 myself and just started jogging intervals, and the short steps thing still feels robotic to me but my knees already complain less than they did walking at my heaviest. Sounds like the awkward phase is just something we push through until it clicks. Keeping to flat routes till then for sure.

#22

At 52 down I can confirm the awkward phase fully quits on you somewhere along the way - my stride sorted itself out without me ever drilling cues. Knees that used to protest every easy run are just silent now. Keep the quick steps if they feel good, but honestly the lighter you get the less you'll have to think about any of it.

#23

Down 34 and the awkwardness mostly faded somewhere in the last 15 lbs or so without me drilling anything. My knees stopped being the loudest voice on easy runs, which made it way easier to just run instead of monitor myself. The quick steps cue still helps me on tired days though.

#24

Down 41 on Ozempic here and I had the same overstriding habit early on - it mostly worked itself out somewhere in the last 20 lbs or so without me drilling anything. The quick steps cue is still my go-to on tired days though, so you're not wrong to keep it in the pocket.

#25

Only 12 down so far but I noticed the same thing around 10 - strides suddenly felt shorter without me trying. The quick-step cue still feels forced for me but I figure it buys time until the rest sorts itself out.

#26

Down 56 and I'd say the form fixes stick better once the impact load drops - my heel-striking habit faded on its own but the quick cadence is still what I default to on hills or when my legs are shot. Don't stress if it feels weird now, it stopped feeling like work for me somewhere in the last 20 lbs.

#27

Down around 50 myself and it tracks - the overstriding eased up on its own once there was less of me pounding the pavement, but short steps are still what I fall back to when my legs feel like lead. The awkward phase passes, it just takes some mileage.

#28

At 45 down I'd say the same pattern - form quirks I used to obsess over just kind of faded as the pounds dropped, less impact made everything smoother. The quick steps still feel like work for me too, but I lean on them when my legs get heavy late in a run. Give it time, the awkwardness really does burn off with miles.

#29

I'm about 30 down and the heel-strike thing mostly fixed itself somewhere in the last 10 lbs or so - like my body finally stopped reaching out with the foot. The quick-steps cue still feels deliberate for me though, so I just use it as a reset button whenever I catch myself lurching forward on tired legs.

#30

Down about 50 and I'd back what the others are saying - the overstriding faded mostly on its own once my legs weren't hauling as much around. Quick steps never became automatic for me either, but they're my go-to when the last stretch of a run turns sloppy, kind of a reset switch. The awkward phase is real early on, it just stops mattering as the miles pile up.

#31

Down 83 myself and yeah, the overstriding mostly worked itself out somewhere along the way - I stopped thinking about my feet entirely a while back. The quick-steps cue is the one thing that never stopped feeling deliberate for me, so now I just save it for the last mile when my form falls apart. Congrats on getting out there, that first plan is the hard part.

#32

Down 30 here and I noticed the heel-striking easing up around the last 10 lbs or so without me consciously working on it - lighter landing just sort of happened. Short steps still feel mechanical for me too, but that's fine, I figure they're the training wheels until mileage does its thing.

#33

I'm only a dozen or so pounds in and my form still feels like a mess most runs, but even that little bit of weight gone made my stride feel less clompy already. My take is the awkwardness is just part of the first few weeks, not a sign you're doing it wrong. I'll keep watching those videos but I'm expecting mileage to handle more of it than I will.

#34

Down 77 and I can confirm the overstriding mostly worked itself out somewhere along the way - I stopped thinking about it entirely by the time I was running actual distances. Cadence drills felt robotic for months, so I quit forcing them and just let the lighter body do the work. Give yourself permission to run awkward for a while.

#36

Down about 25 myself and it tracks - once my knees stopped complaining on walks, shorter steps stopped feeling forced. Still heel-strike when I get tired, but the whole thing feels way less clumsy than it did even 10 pounds ago. Sounds like the awkward phase just takes mileage to burn off.

#37

Down 36 here and same story - my stride got noticeably smoother somewhere in the last 10 pounds without me drilling anything. I think a lighter body just naturally lands more under your hips. The awkwardness burned off on its own for me, mileage did the rest.

#38

Only 16 down so far but I already notice the quick-steps thing clicking more on easy days than it did at the start. I still fall back into overstriding when I speed up, so the awkward phase is definitely still alive and well over here. Sounds like the smoothness mostly shows up as a bonus from the losses rather than something you can drill in early.

#39

Down 37 on Ozempic and running felt like a different sport around the 25 lb mark - my cadence sorted itself out without me thinking about it. I still heel-strike on tired days too, but the overstriding basically faded once the weight did.

#40

Down about 21 myself and I had the same heel-strike battle early on. What helped me was forgetting form entirely on easy runs and just keeping my steps quiet - if I could hear my feet slapping, I was reaching too far. The smooth stride showed up on its own somewhere in the last few pounds, so I'd say keep the short steps loose and let the losses do the rest.

Showing 21–40 of 48 posts

Write your reply…

You'll be asked to create a free account to post — takes a few seconds, and your reply stays right here.
Ask the community

Create a free account

Takes a few seconds — you'll come right back here.

Already have an account? Log in instead.