I'm about two dozen pounds into my journey and starting to notice some sagging around my arms and stomach, which is freaking me out a little. For those of you who've lost more, did things firm up at all with time and strength training, or is this just my new normal? Trying to figure out whether to worry now or deal with it when I hit my goal weight.
Loose skin at 20 lbs down - what to expect
At 46 lbs down I can tell you my arms did firm up noticeably once I got serious with weights, but my lower stomach stayed stubborn the whole way. Honestly I'd start lifting now if you're not already, since muscle takes time to build and it seemed to matter more for me than just waiting it out.
Only 10 lbs down myself so take this with a grain of salt, but my arms already look a little softer than I expected and I've decided to just start lifting now rather than wait. Worst case the muscle fills some of it in, best case I'm ahead of the game by goal weight. Either way I'd rather not spend months stressing over skin that might still change.
I'm only about 14 lbs in myself, so behind you, but I've heard from friends who lifted heavy that the arms especially filled out some with muscle over time. Stomach was a different story for them though. Sounds like staying consistent with strength training is your best bet, and maybe just see how it shakes out closer to goal before stressing.
Same boat here at around 23 down, and the stomach sag was what pushed me to finally pick up dumbbells a couple months ago. Arms are already looking a bit better but the belly hasn't budged, so I'm just planning to reassess once I hit goal instead of worrying twice.
I'm only 11 down but already seeing the same arm thing, so this thread is reassuring. The pattern everyone's describing with the belly being the last to go matches what I figured, so I'm trying to hold off judging anything until maintenance. Let us know how the lifting goes if you start.
Down 48 on Wegovy and honestly the pattern held the whole way for me: arms and legs tightened up gradually, stomach is the last holdout. Lifting three days a week definitely helped more than time alone, but I wouldn't judge anything until you're at goal and maintenance.
Down 53 on Trulicity and my experience matches the pattern here - arms and legs filled back in slowly with lifting, belly is still stubborn even now. I wouldn't stress at 20 down; honestly most of mine didn't start looking decent until way deeper into the loss. Reassess at goal like you said, that's all you can really do.
Only 6 down here so I'm basically watching this thread for a preview, but the consistent "belly is the last holdout" thing across bigger losers is oddly comforting. Gives me a realistic timeline instead of panicking early.
40-ish down here and same story - arms and legs came back with lifting but my stomach lagged way behind everything else. It genuinely does look worse mid-loss than it will later, so I'd hold off on worrying until you're settled at maintenance and give your skin a year to catch up.
Barely ahead of you at 12 down so no real skin changes yet, but my mom lost a lot on her own years back and her arms were the first place things settled, oddly. The pattern in this thread that mid-loss looks worse than the endpoint seems like a good reason to just shelve the worry until maintenance.
70 down here and it tracks with what others said - my arms and legs tightened up a lot once I got serious with weights, but my stomach is still the stubborn spot. Mid-loss honestly looked worse than it does now, so I wouldn't stress at 20 down. Give it time and see where you land at maintenance before deciding anything.
37 down on the pill version and my arms were exactly where I saw it first, around the 20 mark too. Lifting tightened them up noticeably but my belly is the holdout, and like others here the saggy look at my worst mid-loss point beat what I see now. I'd just keep some photos and reassess at goal.
Down 62 on Saxenda and same story here - arms filled back in once I stuck with lifting, stomach took way longer and is still the last holdout for me. The weird mid-loss sag phase was honestly the worst it got, so I'd keep pictures and judge at goal instead of panicking at 20.
Only 9 down on my end so I can't speak from far along, but I've read the same pattern enough times to believe the mid-loss sag is just a phase and not the final look. Lifting seems to be the common thread for the arms tightening up, so I started resistance work early rather than waiting. Stomach sounds like the stubborn one for everyone, so maybe don't judge anything until maintenance.
Barely started myself (like a week in) so no skin wisdom to offer, but the pattern in this thread is reassuring - arms responding to lifting, belly dragging its feet, and the mid-loss look being the worst version. Saving this one for when I get to that stage.
Down 53 here and the arm sag I noticed around 25 lbs basically resolved itself once lifting became routine - not overnight, more like a slow fill-in over months. Stomach is a different animal, mine lagged way behind everything else and only started looking normal in the last stretch. Agree with judging at goal rather than mid-loss, the in-between phase flatters nobody.
Down 67 on Mounjaro here and same story - arm sag I panicked about around 30 lbs mostly filled in once lifting stuck, took a few months of consistency. Belly was the last holdout and honestly only settled near the end, so I'd hold off on judging anything until maintenance.
Down about the same as you and my belly is the stubborn spot too, arms look way better since I started lifting regularly a couple months back. Based on how slow the middle section has been for me, waiting until goal before making any calls seems like the move.
Only about 19 lbs in myself and seeing the same early arm stuff, so this thread is reassuring. I started lifting a few weeks back mostly for this exact fear, and hearing it's a months-long fill-in rather than instant makes me feel better about being patient. Guess we both hold judgment until goal weight.