NEW You can now add a photo to your posts and replies — vials, pens, injection sites and progress pics are all welcome. Max 5 MB, and location data is stripped automatically.
Your journey

Loose skin at 40 lbs down - what to expect

Started by MounjFan78 · · 27 replies · 1,099 views
#1

I'm only a couple pounds into my Mounjaro journey but I'm already thinking ahead about loose skin once I hit bigger losses like 40 lbs. For those of you in your 40s or older who've dropped significant weight, did your skin mostly bounce back or is sagging just part of the deal? Curious what the timeline looked like for you and whether anything seemed to help.

#2

Mine kept tightening for over a year after I stopped losing too, even in my late 40s, so don't judge anything early. Slow pace helped mine look better, and honestly being able to hike with my grandkids beats perfect skin anyway.

#3

Dropped 64 lbs in my 50s and my arms and lower belly never fully snapped back, but it kept improving for a good year after hitting goal, so give it time. Slower loss made a difference for me too. Clothes fitting well and knees not aching anymore made the sag pretty easy to live with.

#4

At 19 lbs down I'm seeing a little softness around my belly that wasn't there before, so I figure some sag is just part of it at our age. Slow loss seems to be what people credit most, and I'm in no hurry anyway. Honestly the way I feel moving around already outweighs what the mirror says.

#5

The mindset part is real - at 120 lbs down I stopped obsessing over the mirror somewhere around the halfway mark and just noticed I could keep up with my kids. Expect some loose skin along the way too; mine showed up way earlier than I thought it would, but it bothered me less once the energy and mobility gains kicked in. Worth it every single day.

#6

I'm only 7 lbs in myself but reading these replies about skin improving a full year after goal is reassuring. I figured whatever happens at 40 down is locked in by then, so good to know the timeline stretches way longer.

#7

Walking and stairs got so much easier for me somewhere around 40 down, way before clothes really caught up. Those little mobility wins are what kept me going when the scale slowed down.

#8

At 31 down myself I noticed the same thing about clothes lagging behind how I felt. My arms and belly still have some looseness but it's honestly less noticeable than I expected at this point, and things keep slowly shifting even months after the loss slowed. Strength work a few times a week seemed to help fill things out a bit for me, for what it's worth.

#9

Stairs were my tell too - around 25 down I stopped bracing for the burn halfway up. Energy took a dip for me during the plateau stretch but came back once the scale moved again, so hang in there.

#10

Lost 70 lbs in my late 40s and my belly and arms never fully tightened up, but the sagging bothered me way less than I'd feared. Strength work made a real difference in how things looked and sat, and skin kept slowly improving for a good year after my weight settled.

#11

Down 41 myself and the balance thing surprised me most - getting off the floor without grabbing furniture. Those little wins kept me going through the slow stretches way more than the scale did.

#12

Lost about 70 myself at 52 and the skin question is so individual - my thighs stayed loose but my face and arms actually firmed up more than I expected. Slow loss helped mine, and things kept shifting for over a year after I stopped dropping. The sagging turned out to be a much smaller deal in the mirror than in my head.

#13

48 here, 18 down so far and my arms already look better than I expected, though my lower belly is clearly going to be the stubborn part. My skin kept adjusting for months even while losing slower, so I'd guess at 40 you'll land somewhere between the two replies above. Honestly the mental picture of sagging is usually worse than the mirror version.

#14

45ish down here and my non-scale moment was fitting sideways through the narrow gap between parked cars without sucking in. The small movement stuff is real - stairs stopped feeling like an event somewhere in the 30s. Keeping a list like someone said above is smart, the before fades fast.

#15

61 down at 53 and my upper arms and face did better than I feared, though the belly skin is definitely hanging around. Mine kept tightening well past when the scale stalled, so give it time before judging. Honestly at a couple pounds in you've got a long runway - no point borrowing that worry yet.

#16

37 down on Ozempic here, mid-40s age-wise, and my arms and legs tightened way more than I expected while the lower belly is the one spot lagging behind. Mine kept improving for months after the loss slowed, so at 40 lbs you may still be in flux. Slow loss seemed to give my skin more time to catch up, for whatever that's worth.

#17

77 down here at 46, and the biggest surprise was how long the tightening kept going - stuff that looked saggy at the six month mark smoothed out over the next year. Face and arms came around nicely, lower belly kept some laxity but honestly less than I'd pictured. At only a couple pounds in you've got way too much timeline ahead to worry yet.

#18

17 down at 47 here and same story so far - arms and face look fine, lower belly is the stubborn one. From what I'm seeing in this thread and my own mirror, the skin keeps working long after the scale slows, so I'm trying not to judge anything yet.

#19

50 down at 44 and it tracks with what everyone's saying - arms and legs tightened up nicely, but the lower belly took a full year to settle and even now there's a little extra there. Biggest thing for me was not judging mid-loss because it kept changing long after the scale slowed.

#20

40s here too and my experience lines up with this thread - the lower belly is the last holdout while everything else caught up on its own. I'm only about 13 lbs in myself but my arms already look different than I expected, so I've stopped trying to predict the end result mid-loss.

Showing 1–20 of 28 posts

Write your reply…

You'll be asked to create a free account to post — takes a few seconds, and your reply stays right here.
Ask the community

Create a free account

Takes a few seconds — you'll come right back here.

Already have an account? Log in instead.